Breathtaking

Breathtaking
Capture the moment for it takes seconds to vanish!

Sunday, June 30, 2013

HANDBAG DESIGNS






As you well know, I like to crochet and have done so many years now. I actually started out knitting as a young girl at the age of 13. My first project was an afghan (believe it or not) ! Sure it took me a long while to complete, but I chose it for exactly that, well, that and the fact that it had a variety of stitches I could learn to do in the process. ;-) I STILL have my first completed afghan & I am so proud of it, but I am actually ashamed to say I have never, ever used it! E V E R!! I was too proud of it & could not bear the thought it might get ruined. So there it sits, all folded up nice and neat in a plastic bag in my closet, where it has lived for 46 years! :-(  I will gift it to my grand daughter, most likely, so she can appreciate the soft feel of the stitches. 
Anyway, after crocheting for so many years and enjoying the works of one needle as opposed to two used for knitting, I decided to dust off my knitting needles and create something running around in my head. My thought was to create a tote with knitted front & back panels and knitted side pockets. So I started knitting the first panel in a simple knit/purl stitch (Stockinette Stitch) and then decided to add a color change to define a "Quilted Diamonds" pattern change to give my tote a real designer handbag look. I found  the pattern for the "Quilted Diamonds" stitch in my Reader's Digest COMPLETE GUIDE TO NEEDLEWORK book. I must admit, after all these years of being away from my knitting needles, the ever so familiar click - click - click sound of the needles as they work their magic, was such a comforting sound and truly brought joy to my heart. Like seeing a very good friend after, well, you get my meaning here. While I worked up my panels, I thought of several ways to sew them together to create my bag, none of which seemed I truly wanted. Until the idea came to combine my knitted pieces with fabric side panels, creating an element all its own for my tote! I loved the idea! So now to find just the right fabric to compliment  my knitted panels! This meant a trip to my local JoAnn's Craft Store ;-)  so with my hubby Terry along & coupons in hand, off we went in search for the perfect fabric. Sometimes this can be a task in itself, but not with my handy dandy man with me! He LOVES to help pick out colors whether I am working in yarns, beading, or fabrics and I must say, he really is quite good at it! Does he have an eye for clothes? Nah! lol  The only detail I gave him was look for something to compliment grey & pink . . . the fabric you see on the outside of the tote is the fabric HE suggested and I LOVED it! Good Job Babe!!! I then found a light pink polka dotted fabric for the inside lining and went with it, to create this finished product. 
The tote is completely lined, has a magnetic closure, 2 outside pockets, with button adornment on one pocket & also the front flap closure, and an adjustable shoulder strap. It is a very large tote and would also be perfect as a diaper bag, that's how big this is! I love the feel of the knitted panels, they are so soft. 
Another project completed! Another pattern written. Another project to be proud of! I love, Love, LOVE the finished product and hope you do as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment